Monday, February 11, 2013

20 may 2012



I created this cut-out in about 20 hours.  I was lucky enough to borrow a pair of small, fly-tying scissors from the local fishing guide shop to cut out the tiny details.  I enjoy sitting quietly to work with focus.  The pattern is taken from my photograph of looking up through new leaves and branches.  Initially, I project the image on the paper and trace with white chalk.  Then I used an xacto knife and the scissors.


approx. 22" x 30", mango paper












Next, I cut the whole paper in half and glued the two pieces together to create a longer banner-like length of paper.  I took photographs of the work by the Slate River.  It was a beautiful day.  The conversation with this cut out came to an end early- as I submerged it in the stream to photograph, the paper came apart almost instantly.   For some this might be frustrating, but I enjoyed the underscore of the temporal nature of everything.  It was a beautiful moment shared with the river.  I quickly fished the scraps out of the water as I do not want my artworks to become litter.

No comments: